Thursday, September 15th, 2011
UPS battery is electro-chemical devices whose ability to store and deliver power slowly decreases over time. While not limited to protecting any particular type of equipment, a ups is typically used to protect computers, data centers, telecommunication equipment or other electrical equipment where an unexpected power disruption could cause injuries, fatalities, serious business disruption or data loss. In simply terms, ups battery is a battery that will give you an opportunity of having some kind of back up for your companies work if the power would ever happen to fall of some reason. If so, it is an important device for company or others. Hence, maintaining the battery is also necessary anyway.
Here are main additional maintenance related points for increasing battery lifetime, particularly in three phase installations:
1. Ask that battery supplier to deliver batteries (whenever possible) short time before putting the UPS in operation.
2. If you need to store batteries until needed, locate and charge them according to instructions and intervals specified by battery manufacturer.
3. Never store batteries in undercharged state. Batteries temporary not in use should be fully charged before putting and maintaining in same storage condition as in item 2.
4. Batteries during operation should be located at vented place, preferably air conditioned and kept at 20°C or 25°C. Increased temperature as described above, detailed also in IEEE standard 450, reduces battery lifetime by 50% with every 8% rise in temperature. Decreased temperature reduces battery capacity by about 1% of rated capacity per each degree Celsius.
5. Check batteries periodically according to battery manufacturer’s instructions. Check UPS setting and conformance, as described in previous chapter, replace batteries.
6. The periodic check should also include visual inspection of the batteries container, as well as individual recording of the voltage of each battery. In addition battery rms current should be measured, in order to ascertain that is below 5% of battery Ampere Hour rating.
7. Replace batteries at regular intervals.
If you want to know more about ups battery, please just visi